Your Kickstarter Sucks (aka this week we're switching things up)

It is in my nature to be candid, and that's exactly what I'm about to do. Forgive me if I hurt some of you, but I can't knowingly sit on a lie and betray the trust of those of you reading. The truth is...

I didn't read anything this week.

I read all the books in my blog because I'm assigned weekly readings in another class I have and we didn't have any assigned for fall break. Great in the context of that class, but what about my blog content? Must it suffer just so I can give my tired old eyes a break?

No! That's why this week, I'm going to flip my blog theme right on it's head and talk about my favorite podcast instead. And if you're one of those people who likes to whine about the progression of technology, you might even think the audiobooks/podcasts are the modern version of books, so in that sense, I'm not really doing anything out of sorts.



Your Kickstarter Sucks is a podcast derived from a Tumblr blog of the same name. Every week, the hosts provide jokes and commentary on some of craziest (or blatantly, dumbest) Kickstarter campaigns they can find. The podcast is really fun to listen to, not only because it's wild to see what kinds of bad ideas people can come up with and expect monetary support for, but because the hosts are really great comedians. They have great chemistry, and their banter makes the up to 2 hour episodes seem to go by in a hilarious breeze.

The podcast gets a lot of hate for discouraging the use of crowdfunding websites and, furthermore, discouraging the subjects of each episode from following their passions. Is it right to make fun of someone just because they want $100k to finance their travels for a blog? Or make a bluetooth-enabled blender? Or whatever this is? Personally, it blows my mind every episode to learn what some people think is truly worth financing, or a campaign that is a blatant scam, or all the kinds of Kickstarters in between.

While enduring six-hour car rides each way to get to my fall break destination, this podcast was a much needed companion. If you guys want to listen, you can check it out here.

Do you guys have any favorite podcasts? Are you disappointed in me for not reading? Be brutally honest below!


Comments

  1. I'll definitely have to check out this podcast, it sounds so interesting! As a, hopeful, future entrepreneur, I find Kickstarter and other similar sites fascinating and a great concept. However, I have seen so many occasions where they are misused - I don't think you should be able to make a Kickstarter for just ANYTHING. But on the other hand, if people want to put their money towards those things, who am I to judge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself in the same conflict-I don't want to tell anyone how to spend their money, but some of the ideas the show highlights are totally out there. I think the conflict makes the podcast a fun once-or-twice-a-week activity and not something I want to seriously ruminate on for too long lol.

      Delete
  2. I'm always on the lookout for new podcasts, and this one sounds fun. Have you ever listened to Modern Mrs. Darcy? She does book reviews and reading related things on her podcast. A perfect mix of your interests. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds right up my alley-I'll have to check it out! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How the Irish Became White-Noel Ignatiev

Player Piano-Kurt Vonnegut